ASHA Journals Knowledge Base

What should I do if my institution does not have an Institutional Review Board (IRB)?

If you do not have access to an Institutional Review Board at your institution, there are several potential solutions, including:

  1. Partner with another institution that has one and that is willing to have it serve as the IRB of record for the study. 
  2. Use an external, commercial one, such as Solutions IRB (
  3. Start an IRB.

For more information, read How to do Human-Subjects Research if you do not Have an Institutional Review Board, by Todd W. Rice.

You can learn more about the ethics of using human and animal research subject on the Authorship and Publication Ethics page.


Related Questions